Monday, December 12, 2011

Three British Shows You Should Be Watching

I'll admit it, I'm a British TV fanatic! I can't get enough of the actors, the accents, the sexiness, and the fact that they can actually curse! American television is so uptight in comparison. Since I love spreading the joy, here are some shows that you most definitely should be watching.

Downton Abbey


This Masterpiece series is, at first, set between 1912 to 1914 in the fictional manor of Downton Abbey. The sinking of the Titanic sets in motion a series of events that turns the lives of the aristocratic family and staff upside down -- the heir went down with the ship, and now an unknown, middle class lawyer will become Earl. The horror!


There is drama, romance, secret affairs, backstabbing, parties, and much more. The clothing and settings are gorgeous, and the acting is superb. Of course, with Maggie Smith you really can't go wrong!

The second season takes place during WWII between 1916 and 1919, and will premiere on January 8th. You can watch (or re-watch) the first season starting Decemeber 18th.

Misfits

The E4 show is seriously one of the funniest, most original shows I've ever seen. Just be warned that it's also very vulgar (in the best possible way) as their is lots of cursing and nudity. If this were shown in the U.S., it would be considered TV-MA and would most certainly be cleaned up...a lot.

As five young adults are cleaning for their community service, a freak storm breaks out and they're all struck by lightening, which gives them special powers based on their personality. Little do they know that other people now have superpowers as well.

Seasons one and two are available on Hulu and hopefully the third season will be up soon.

Sherlock


A BBC One production, this a modern day reimagining of the famous detective we all know and love. Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Dr. John Watson (Martin Freeman) use cell phones, computers, GPS, and of course their wits and keen eye for details to find murderers in London.

Though the seasons consist of only three episdoes, they're all an hour and half. The movie-like episodes allow for more characterization, more detailed plots, and obviously more humor and adventure.  

I'm not sure where you can watch the first season, but the second season will air sometime early next year on Masterpiece.

Which British TV shows do you watch?

(Pictures found via Bing)

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I can't get enough of British TV either. I've never seen Misfits, but I love Downtown Abbey and Sherlock. I'm so jealous that those shows get aired overseas months earlier than over here. Merlin is a fun show to watch. I'm also a huge Doctor Who fan.

    I would also recommend watching Primeval- a scifi show about creatures from other time periods coming to our time period through portals called anomalies. The characters are great and make you care about what's going on, no matter how strange the situation. It's a bit of light fun mixed with a dash of horror- just don't expect the entire original cast or any of their replacements to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Merlin, and now I'm kicking myself that I forgot to include it! I've heard of Primeval, but never saw it. I think I'll check it out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masterpiece theater is probably the only thing I ever sit down and watch on TV by myself. The three parts of Downtown Abbey that I saw were quite good.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, beautiful! Thanks for leaving a comment!
Have a lovely day!
~Sara ♥

Pin It button on image hover