Monday, April 29, 2013

Inspiration: Bright Colors & A Blogger Book Swap: 5 Books Every Young Woman Should Read

Every time spring and summer rolls around, my love of bright colors and neons come back in full force {see this DIY and this one}. As you can see from this outfit, I love adding neon touches and I can't wait to wear my new bright-colored clothing (which you'll see in a new buys post this friday).

Looking at the picture below, you can see that I'm very into bright pink and yellow right now. While my love of pink is unwavering, yellow is a color that I used to despise. Before I thought yellow was boring and unflattering, but now I'm rethinking this vibrant color. It seems bright, cheerful, and warmer hues of the color are super flattering. Are you into bright colors?

I found out who my book swap partner is for the Preview to Summer: A Blogger Book Swap! It's Helen of Eat. Enjoy. Live! So excited to be partnered with her! We've been emailing and getting to know each other a little better! I can't wait to find the perfect book or two to send her, and see what I get in return!

ONE | Divergent by Veronica Roth

I read this book recently thinking that it would just be another dystopian-adventure novel, and while it is that at it's core, the theme of fear is prevalent throughout. It really made me think during and for several days afterwards about what my fears are, how having fears makes you human, and that overcoming them makes you stronger. Not only is a fun read, but it makes you think, too.

TWO | The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Katniss Everdeen is a badass. There's no denying it. She's smart, compassionate, stands up for herself, stands up for who and what she believes, knows how to protect herself, doesn't care what (most) people think, and lets herself get angry. Sometimes it's nice to have a reminder that inside all of us there's a badass chick.

THREE | Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Or really anything by Jane Austen. We all deserve to find love and be loved. It might take some time to get there or to find the right person, but we should never give up on love. And we should never let anyone tell us that we don't deserve a love like Elizabeth and Darcy's, or Emma and Knightley's, or Anne and Wentworth's.

FOUR | The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

I remember finding this book hard to read because of the subject matter. Offred is a handmaid who is serving the Commander and his wife, and has to hope that the Commander makes her pregnant because her value is marked by her fertility. No one should ever feel degraded or belittled like Offred in any circumstance. And sometimes it's better to risk everything in order to be happy and feel free.

FIVE | Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewette

This is a collection of short stories written in 1896 about friendship between women. There's really no plot or climax or crazy, never-would-have-seen-that-coming ending. It's just simple, conversations between close friends. Each character has been changed by their struggles, the weather, and the isolation of the fishing villages that they live in. It's a beautiful series of character sketches that can teach us a lot about friendship and the hardships of life.

What books do you think young women should read?


(via Pinterest)

Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. Summer definitely brings out my not-really-existent love for bright colors. The rest of the year, I could almost care less, but nice weather rolls around and I'm suddenly into hot pink xD

    Also, what is this magical blogger book swap thing!? Sounds so exciting! And GOOOOOOD book recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm the same -- the rest of the year I go back to neutrals and dark colors!

      Delete
  2. i always love a nice bright pink! i like neon yellow, and like a mustard yellow, im picky with my yellow shades. also the handmaids tail is an amazing book, i was literally just thinking about it the other day. i want to re-read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that yellow dress! And I love Pride & Prejudice - such a classic that I re-read frequently :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm adding Pride & Prejudice to my must-read list of the summer :)

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just too cute! Merci for your lovely comment on my Blog! ♥ Those Neon colors are awesom! Sure I'd like to follow each other! I follow you now too via bloglovin, hope we keep in touch!

    Lots of Love, Kyra
    www.kyras.de

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not the biggest fan of bright colours. I have a bright pink dress but that's it. I actually bought it because it has lace on it ;)

    Love the hunger games.
    X Audrey
    Fashionhightea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a nice selection of books. I need more to read! Can't get enough of bright colors, so perfect for the warming weather. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait til it's summer so I can read more books! Lately I've just been reading for school -- boring! lol

      Delete
  8. Totally dying over bright colors. LOVE this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pride & Prejudice, such a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of those five I have read Divergent, Hunger Games and Pride and Prejudice - I agree with all of them!

    I would also add the rest of Jane Austen's books, particularly Emma and Persuasion (I know this is not her most popular book, but I think it is great and raises some great points about society, persuasion and independence).

    - Camilla
    happycompletehome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Persuasion so much! After Pride and Prejudice, it's my fave!

      Delete

Hello, beautiful! Thanks for leaving a comment!
Have a lovely day!
~Sara ♥

Pin It button on image hover