Thursday, January 16, 2014

Inspired By: The Classics Vol. 4

Time for more outfits inspired by classic stories! These are always so much fun to put together, and I like to think that these characters might actually wear these outfits if they were real, modern-day people. I would be walking down the street and say, "Oh, there's Dorothy in her blue dress, talking on her cell phone to the Cowardly Lion." Only in my imagination sadly. 

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
The Wizard of Oz
{Click for item info}

The classic children's story The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum follows young Dorothy as she's transported to a strange land called Oz, and goes on a journey with the Cowardly Lion, the Tin Man, and the Scarecrow in order to find her way back home. 

I had to create a Dorothy-inspired outfit: a yellow cardigan, pretty blue dress, red bracelet, and yellow flats. Instead of doing a book cover or character outfit, I chose an ensemble based on the Emerald City: an olive jacket, green maxi dress, green ring, and black booties. 


Buy the book: B&N | Amazon

The Arabian Nights
The Arabian Nights
The Arabian Nights is a collection of magical tales that were first collected over a thousand years ago. These collections generally includes "One Thousand and One Nights," "Sinbad the Sailor," "Aladdin and His Magic Lamp," and "Ali Baba and The Forty Thieves." 

Since it's warm somewhere, I decided to do two outfits for warmer climates: the first with an embroidered blue top, wide leg jeans, pink and orange jewelry, and jeweled sandals. A cute date outfit would be to wear a chambray top, purple pleated skirt, gold jewelry, and metallic sandals.

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon

Robinson Crusoe
Robinson Crusoe
Written by Daniel Defoe, this story is about Robinson Crusoe's struggles after he is shipwrecked on a deserted island; it's about his challenges, his trial and error in making a shelter for himself, and his fears when he realizes that he isn't so alone. 

If you're taking a vacation to a tropical island (though lets hope it's not because of a shipwreck), a cute outfit would be a blue wide brim hat, moon phase shirt, distressed jean shorts, leaf bracelet, and sandals. Or if you're in a colder climate, try a striped ombre sweater, dark green jeans, leaf rings, and olive booties. 

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon

The Phantom of the Opera
The Phantom of the Opera
Though we all know about the musical, The Phantom of the Opera was first a novel written by Gaston Leroux about the Paris Opera and how everyone believes it to be haunted. This phantom has demands and he's obsessed with Christine Daaé, the lovely novice singer. 

The first outfit is based on the Phantom: a black fedora, black leather-sleeve coat, white blouse, black jeans, and lace up heeled booties. The second ensemble is inspired by the covers and on Christine: wear a pink floral headband, a red maxi dress, a rose ring, and nude heels. 

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon

Bloglovin ♥ Facebook ♥ Twitter ♥ Pinterest ♥ Instagram
 photo SincerelySaraPostButtonShort_zps1f3e9c17.jpg

Pin It!

35 comments:

  1. How bad is it that I want every piece from the "Robinson Crusoe" grouping? Not bad, right? And Arabian Nights is so lovely...I wish it was spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so creative , classification of outfits according classic stories..
    I like the Arabian nighties one
    Kisses
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so clever! I love themed collections like this! Although I love every piece from Arabian Nights, I think my overall style fits better with Robinson Crusoe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that floppy hat in the Robinson Crusoe set... a must have for a tropical vacay!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. That red gown from The Phantom of The Opera is absolutely beautiful! I love it!! I have never read the Robinson book, nor seen a movie based on it but I definitely should make work of that! I'm not much of a reader, so I should probably find a movie, haha xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a fun idea! I absolutely love this idea. I really love the Arabian Nights collection, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi dear Sara, I think you know already how much I like this kind of post! Not only because you put always wonderful outfits together - I like especially the idea behind <3

    Thank you!

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I was just thinking about doing something like this for my next Monday post. Can't say I'm really into the outfits for the Wizard of Oz, but I simply love the other three, especially The Arabian Nights. Since this is Vol. 4, I went back to look at the other three and all I can say is YES! Long Live A Tale of Two Cities!

    Sincerely, Christine from Invisible Blush

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the Robinson Crusoe!! so my style!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, the Robinson Crusoe look is my jam, for sure.

    I love this feature! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute!! Robinson Crusoe is my favorite though, that sweater is adorable and the shirt too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything in the Robinson Crusoe picture, especially that striped sweater! What a fantastic post. How is the new year treating you? If you're like many of us and have resolved to spend a little less this year, we'd love to tell you about Dorco. We're a shaving company providing quality razors for up to 70% less than leading brands. Chances are you're paying way too much for razors. Plus, by switching to Dorco you can finally afford to change your blades often, which will result in happier, healthier skin (something else I think we all want in 2014!) You don't have to sacrifice quality to save so much, though. Read what others think about our products at DorcoUSA.com, and check out our prices for yourself while you're there. Thanks for hearing us out, and we wish you all the best in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much, Kate! So glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I look forward to seeing your Monday post! Thanks so much, Christine!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not surprisingly, the Phantom of the Opera look is my favourite - hello, black, white, red and gold, otherwise known as all the colours I love :) But the Arabian Nights one caught my eye because it's just so you! You must be wishing it would all find its way into your closet ;)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are all so cute! I particularly love your list for Robinson Crusoe!

    XOXO
    Becca | Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always enjoy your literature-inspired-fashion posts! I love Robinson Crusoe's outfit the most!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a cute idea! really love this. very original

    xxfrancesca
    enter my agave oil product giveaway here!
    FRANK VINYL

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are all great as usual, Sara! I love the Phantom looks - they are so glam!


    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. How fun are these?! I really like the Wizard of Oz and The Phantom of the Opera looks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love that black and white stripe ombre sweater, and pretty much everything you picked for Phantom!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I seriously love this idea! I think you are so talented. It's always fun to see these.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, nice! I like the lion ring and leaf bangle in particular. My coblogger just did something similar with CRESS by Marissa Meyer, too, it's so fun to see outfits paired with or inspired by books.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  24. I saw that post and loved it!! She did an amazing job! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Arabian Nights outfits really are me! I would wear those outfits in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, beautiful! Thanks for leaving a comment!
Have a lovely day!
~Sara ♥

Pin It button on image hover