Thursday, February 27, 2014

Inspired By: Penelope

Penelope is a movie that came out in 2006, but it's just so whimsical and fun that when it popped up on my Netflix suggestions I had to re-watch it. I love so many things about this movie (the fairy tale-like story, the romance, the actors in it), but I also love how saturated with color it is -- the costumes and sets are so bright and cheerful. 

Penelope is about a young woman named Penelope, who, because of a family curse, is born with a pig nose. Her wealthy, blue-blood parents fake their infant daughter's death because a reporter named Lemon keeps stalking them. Many years later, Penelope's parents try to introduce her to as many suitors as possible because the curse states that only when "one of her own" loves her will the curse be broken, so they believe that the curse will be broken when she marries someone of noble birth. 

Penelope
Penelope
Penelope Wilhern (Christina Ricci) is a charming and optimistic young woman with a pig nose, who spends her life stuck in her home because her parents are afraid of what people will think. She grows up learning about horticulture, literature, and music. She's met countless suitors who all go running once they see her nose, but has a connection with one young man, who she thinks is named Max.

Go for Penelope's well-known look by wearing a purple pea coat, purple scarf, purple dress over a striped tee, green tights, and green Mary Jane heels. Or instead wear a red cardigan over a striped dress, a bunch of brooches, and nude and black heels. 

Max / Johnny
Penelope -- Max / Johnny
Johnny Martin (James McAvoy) is a musician and a gambler who needs money, so when the reporter Lemon thinks he's a blue blood named Max and offers him money to get a picture of Penelope, Johnny takes the deal. He falls for Penelope because she's sweet and has an innocence about her. 

For a casual look, try wearing a gray blazer, chambray top, jeans, and black booties. Or put on a more put together outfit: a faux-leather sleeve jacket, a burgundy polka dot blouse, black jeans, a black wide brim hat, a LOVE bracelet, and burgundy flats. 

Annie
Penelope -- Annie
Annie (Reese Witherspoon) is a messenger who rides a Vespa. After Penelope ventures out into the "real world," they meet a bar and become friends because Annie introduces her to new things. At first, Annie has no clue that Penelope has a pig nose because she constantly wears a scarf.

Get Annie's cool biker chick look by putting on a black leather jacket, black and white top, a beanie, black jeans, and tall boots. Or instead go for a urban chic outfit: an olive field jacket, a striped crop top, a leather-trim skirt, spike earrings, and lace up peep-toe booties. 

Lemon
Penelope -- Lemon
Lemon (Peter Dinklage) is a tabloid reporter, who more than anything wants to get a picture of Penelope to prove that he and Edward Humphrey Vanderman III (Simon Woods), one of Penelope's suitors, aren't crazy. Years earlier, when Penelope was a baby, he broke into the Wilhern's house and Penelope's mother blinded him in one eye. Despite how much he wants this picture, he's still a good guy.

If you're into more borrowed from the boys looks, wear a brown leather jacket, brown hat, green plaid blouse, green cargo pants, camera ring, and brown buckle boots. Or maybe an OMG necklace, picture print shirt, distressed jeans, watch, and gray sneakers. 

P.S. -- There's a book based on the movie!

Have you seen this movie?
Whose style is similar to yours?

Bloglovin ♥ Facebook ♥ Twitter ♥ Pinterest ♥ Instagram
 photo SincerelySaraPostButtonShort_zps1f3e9c17.jpg


Pin It!

28 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this movie before! Penelope's style is calling my name since I'm huge fan of anything striped :)

    -Sharon

    The Tiny Heart
    Jewelry Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie sounds so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this movie, but now I want to! It looks so interesting!


    fabulosityfactor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penelope was definitely a great movies and I really enjoyed watching it! :)
    I really like how you made a post solely based on the characters of the movie! I really like all outfit variations you created! :)

    www.callmemaddie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen the movie, but now I really want to! I just checked and it's on Netflix. Yay!

    ♥ Naomi Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought this movie was really cute and well done! Great picks for the sets, too! I would most like to dress like Annie! I've had my eye on that field jacket for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I LOVE this movie!!! This is so cool that you've done this, a great post, keep up the good work :)
    Jessie
    www.bethechic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don´t know the movie, but I love the looks you have created! Especially the looks for Penelope are great because I´m always really into such marine style :)

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that movie too, but I didn' remember that reese was on it. Good outfit pics


    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ADORE that movie. Need to watch it again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait, I've never heard of this movie but I love all of those people. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow while nursing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love this! I too get sort of obsessed with movies and like to find ways to dress like certain characters;) Now I just need to Netflix Penelope!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's done it again! There you go again stealing my heart with your Polyvores <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me neither! I watched it a few weeks ago and was surprised that she was in it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much, Jessie! Glad you liked this post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Annie dresses so bad ass! I love it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a really cute movie! I think you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you would like it! It's cute and funny!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you have Netflix, you should watch it! It's so cute and perfect for a lazy weekend, which we might have considering it's supposed to snow a lot this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Me too! I wish it was more popular! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Penelope!!! I love this movie! So few people seem to know it, too, so I'm double excited to see it as your inspiration! I love the looks for Lemon and Annie - Reese is so fabulous in this movie!


    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello, beautiful! Thanks for leaving a comment!
Have a lovely day!
~Sara ♥

Pin It button on image hover