Monday, November 3, 2014

Sponsor Spotlight: Llinos of The Lilac Linnet

Say hello to Llinos of The Lilac Linnet!
The Earth Angel Training Academy by Michelle Gordon - I have recommended this book all over the internet by now, but it's a captivating read which has completely captured my imagination and I can't stop raving about it. Velvet is an Old Soul who is the Head of the Earth Angel Training Academy.  She and her colleagues train angels, faeries and merpeople to go to Earth to be born as humans.  But Velvet has lived thousands of lives before.  Will she be called to Earth again?

If you enjoy fantasy then I'm sure you will love this book.  It's also very thought provoking, as it makes you question your own beliefs about life and the universe.

I've connected with Michelle on Twitter and Facebook and she is lovely, she is so supportive of indie authors and she recently moved to Brighton, UK, to begin a new life there.  I am full of admiration for her.  As I write my own novel, she is a constant inspiration.
Blood Between Queens by Barbara Kyle – This is a historical novel about the tumultuous relationship between Elizabeth I of England and Mary Queen of Scots; a relationship and a period in history that never ceases to amaze me.  The author weaves the events of Mary’s flight from Scotland and her subsequent imprisonment in England with the fictional story of Justine Thornleigh, a young woman who is the daughter of a Catholic traitor, but is herself a loyal servant of Elizabeth’s. The plot moves quickly as Justine must act to save those she loves the most, and her queen.

I am definitely going to be reading more books in the Thornleigh family series; I loved the sumptuous, dangerous and thrilling world that the author created around the true events of these remarkable queen’s lives!
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith - I knew I wanted to read this as soon as it was published, before it was revealed that Robert Galbraith was a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling. It sounded like a thrilling murder mystery and a critique of the modern celebrity culture. I'm quite particular about thrillers and murder mysteries, and normally I stick to Simon Brett or Agatha Christie.  But this book pulled me in, and I was glad to yield to it.  

A young model with the world at her feet has committed suicide, but her brother is worried that it was murder. I felt that parts of the book were a bit contrived, like the regional accents of the characters, but otherwise this was a full throttle ride. I love Cormoran, the private detective with a complicated past and Robyn, his assistant. They make a great duo and I am so glad their adventures are continuing in the next novel in the Cormoran Strike series.

Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick – This is another historical fiction novel which had been on my reading list for ages.  It tells the story of Matilda, the daughter of King Henry I of England, who should have inherited his throne in 1135.  The book charts her unsuccessful struggle for power, her unhappy private life, and her warm relationship with her young stepmother.  I have long been fascinated by Matilda, the woman who should have been England’s first crowned queen, but I have also been frustrated by the lack of books about her.  This novel brought her vividly to life and provided a well rounded interpretation of the events which shaped her life.
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty - This book came into my life at a tumultuous time.  I was unexpectedly admitted to hospital late last year, as I had an adverse reaction to the IVF treatment which I was having to protect my fertility. Unprepared and facing long hours in pain, I begged my boyfriend to get me a book from the hospital shop. This book is what he chose.  

Cecilia finds an unopened letter written by her husband, to be opened only in the event of his death.  She opens it and what it reveals has repercussions for the whole family and community. This is a harrowing read, as loyalties are tested, secrets are revealed, and life is changed forever.

This book made my horrible stay in hospital easier to bear, as it had me in its thrall from the first page.  The best thing about the whole experience was that I discovered a new author to read.

If you’ve read any of these books, I’d love to hear your thoughts!



Bloglovin ♥ Facebook ♥ Twitter ♥ Pinterest ♥ Instagram
 photo SincerelySaraPostButtonShort_zps1f3e9c17.jpg

Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. blood between queens sound interesting
    Keep in touch

    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    www.indianbeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,
    I wish you all the best in the world with your novel! Remember: good things are coming to those who are daring and talented.
    XX Nora

    noragouma.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that the book brought you some peace of mind in a time of need. :)

    ♥ Naomi Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh so great! I hope you enjoy :)

    Frank Vinyl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding some of these to my list, thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you like the recommendations! I've added a few to my to-read list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. they all sound so good!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, beautiful! Thanks for leaving a comment!
Have a lovely day!
~Sara ♥

Pin It button on image hover