Thursday, January 30, 2014

Inspired By: January's Best Selling Books

This past month I read four novels, all of which I would highly recommend: The Ocean at the End of the Lane (a magical tale about the unimaginable things that make up the universe), Cinnamon and Gunpowder (a chef is kidnapped by a female pirate captain who forces him to cook a gourmet meal for her every week), Paper Valentine (Hannah, a teenager, is being haunted by her dead best friend, Lillian, while a serial killer murders young girls), and Templar (a cool graphic novel about when the Templars fell). 

Hollow City
Hollow City

Written by Ransom Riggs, this is the second novel, after Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, in which Jacob continues his unusual journey with his new friends in 1940. I can't say too much about the plot without giving away the ending to the first novel, which is amazing and combines storytelling with vintage pictures. I'm so excited to read the second in the series!

For a look based on the cover, go with a black and white peter pan collar dress, a pocket watch necklace, knee high socks, and burgundy oxfords. Or if you're a modern kid, like Jacob, trying to blend into the past, wear a bomber jacket, graphic tee, jeans, floral backpack, and blue sneakers. 

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch

Written by Donna Tartt, this story follows Theo Decker, who as a 13-year-old boy survives an accident that kills his mother and is taken in by the family of a wealthy friend. He takes comfort in a painting that reminds him of his mother. As an adult, Theo works at an antique store and gets drawn into the underworld of art. I heard this novel is a masterpiece and everyone says it's worth the 800 pages!

For a cute casual look, wear a bird print shirt, green pants, gold locket, and burgundy flats. Or get inspired by art itself by donning a watercolor print dress, mint belt, sparkly jewelry, and gray booties. 

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon

Lost Lake
Lost Lake

Written by Sarah Addison Allen, this novel is about Kate, a widow, and her daughter, who find heating at a quirky summer resort on Lost Lake in Southern Georgia run by her eccentric great-aunt Eby. While trying to heal, Kate interacts with all the oddball guests.

I couldn't resist floral outfits, so wear a floral dress, green jacket, gold bracelets, and taupe booties, or instead go for a purple blazer, black tank top, floral pants, blue necklace, and black heels. 

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon

Love Monster
Love Monster
Written by Rachel Bright, this adorable children's story is about the Love Monster, a hairy monster who just wants to fit in with the cuddly residents of Cutesville, but it's hard for him to fit in, so he decides to find someone who loves him for who he is. 

If you're in a warm climate, wear a coral heart-print tee, burgundy shorts, heart-print scarf, and brown moccasins. Or dress up a little by wearing a purple necklace, red and purple chiffon dress, and black bow wedges. 

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon

Bloglovin ♥ Facebook ♥ Twitter ♥ Pinterest ♥ Instagram
 photo SincerelySaraPostButtonShort_zps1f3e9c17.jpg

Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. Ooh! These are all exceptionally lovely (I'm craving dresses and florals in this crazy weather!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read a lot in the last month, dear Sara! Especially Hallow City sounds really interesting to me and I like it again how you created outfits to the books :)

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Who knew books can have such wonderful fashion inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these Inspiration posts of yours! So fun! I'll take the peter pan dress, if you want to send it my way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love your book inspired looks, they get me thinking about fashion in such a different way than I normally would and also ties in two of my biggest passions in a way I would never have expected. The look you put together for Lost Lake is especially gorgeous. And speaking of fashion and mostly, books, thank-you so much for your sweet comment about mine :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute post. I have been wanting to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children for quite some time now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love all your picks above all the love monster ones, does that mean I should read that book first?? ;)


    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. As per usual, I love all of your books inspired outfits! Goldfinch...seriously let's talk about it, but go read it first lol! And your Love Monster look is so cute!


    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad I'll have someone to talk to about it once I read it!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Monster looks like such a cute book, doesn't it? I would read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much! You should definitely check it out! It's a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much, Cee!! No problem!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you styled these outfits based on books. I'm dying to read The Goldfinch- in fact, I'm planning to buy it after work today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i realllyyy want to wear that black dress with those knee high stockings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay... I actually think ALL of those sound amazing and interesting. So often, reads that other people recommend are those which I don't think I'd ever read!!! I really love the backpack in your first collage, and that last one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks! I'm glad these are books that you would actually want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me too! It's very Wednesday Addams!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I heard great things about it! Hope you love the book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh, such a cool concept you've got here - I love the outfits inspired by books! My favorites would be from The Goldfinch and Lost Lake. I'm a sucker for floral prints too :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ocean at the End of the Lane is on my too-read list. I never heard of Paper Valentine before, but I am definitely adding it. And Love Monster looks like an adorable book. I love monsters!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, beautiful! Thanks for leaving a comment!
Have a lovely day!
~Sara ♥

Pin It button on image hover