Thursday, December 11, 2014

Inspired By: The Classic Vol. 10

Since it's December and it's lightly snowed a few times already here in New York, I wanted to create outfits for "wintery" classic books; books that either take place in winter, or a cold climate, or have to do with nature. The only exception is The Awakening, which @fantine1 on Instagram requested. If there are any classics you want me to do, feel free to comment below or message me anywhere on social media to let me know!

A Christmas Carol
A Christmas Carol

Written by Charles Dickens, this novel is a well-known Christmas tale about the importance of family and friends, never giving up, and being a good person. It's about Ebenezer Scrooge, a business man, who calls Christmas a "humbug," doesn't give to charity, and refuses his nephew's dinner invitation. During the course of Christmas Eve, Scrooge is visited by four ghosts, who make him realize things about his life.

Go for a Victorian tomboy look in a tuxedo blazer, a loose white blouse, black pants, and brown oxfords. Or wear a white lace dress (for all of the ghosts that visit him), an open gray coat, a beaded belt, a gray watch, and lace up boots.

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon | Goodreads

The Awakening
The Awakening
Written by Kate Chopin, The Awakening deals with women's roles as mothers and wives at the turn of the century (and is seen as a landmark work of early feminism). The book is about Edna, a wife and mother, who is vacationing with her husband on the Gulf of Mexico. Edna is unhappy in her marriage; she pursues love with another man and meets a woman whom Edna sees as an inspiration. 

Classic and chic: don a black dress, a beaded headband, a musical note ring (since the woman Edna meets is a recitalist), heart print tights, and black pumps. Or wear something free-flowing and free: a gold leaf headband, a bright orange dress, a broken heart ring, a sequin clutch, and nude flats. 

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon | Goodreads

Anna Karenina
Anna Karenina
Written by Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina is said to be one of the greatest Russian novels of all time. Set in 19th century Russia, it's about Anna, a married aristocrat, and her affair with Count Vronsky. Count Vronsky is eager to marry her, but first she would have to leave her husband, a government official. However, Anna is vulnerable to the pressures of society as a rich woman. 

It's cold in Russia, so wear a brown faux fur stole, an off-the-shoulder black dress, a ribbon and rhinestone necklace, a heart ring, and patent black heels. Or don a long gray coat, a dark red dress, a black faux fur stole, red studs, and black booties. 

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon | Goodreads

Walden
Walden
Written by Henry David Thoreau, Walden is Thoreau's autobiographical account of his time living isolated in nature. In 1845, he built himself a wooden hut near Walden Pond in Massachusetts and stayed there until 1847. This book chronicles his life living with the bare minimum and his thoughts on the ways of man, the government, and freedom. 

Be relaxed and comfortable: wear a green sweater, distressed jeans, a green necklace, a leaf ring, and floral sneakers. Or put on a blue and green plaid dress, a leaf necklace, black leggings, and heeled brown booties. 

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon | Goodreads

Which of these books have you read?
Back in high school, I read A Christmas Carol and Walden.

I'm looking for Books & Looks submissions! Click below for more info!

Bloglovin ♥ Facebook ♥ Twitter ♥ Pinterest ♥ Instagram
 photo SincerelySaraPostButtonShort_zps1f3e9c17.jpg

Pin It!

21 comments:

  1. The Dickens outfits are perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I love the Walden outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! So creative!

    http://www.kaciesklosetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every collection is amazing! I love them all!

    ♥ Naomi Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just blogged about A Christmas Carol! I had never read it until recently, but it was definitely worth it.
    Funny, but the outfit I already seem to have is the Walden one, even though that book probably interests me the least on this list. I really want to read Anna Karenina.
    One of these days I need to submit to Books & Looks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have considered that A Christmas Carol could look so chic :)

    I promise you Books & Looks is on my radar and I want to do it! Things are just crazy and I keep forgetting. I also keep telling myself I'll have my shit together in the new year so...we'll see!

    ♥ perfectly Priya

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of these outfits and that they're inspired by book covers! LOVE the red dress and coat in the Anna Karenina looks!

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE all these outfits, especially the A Christmas Carol looks! Maybe for one set of classics, you could do Fairytales/children's book? I could see some cute Dr. Seuss inspired looks <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. That red, lace dress! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Anna Karenina look has my heart! Swooning.
    And I'll be sending you a Books & Looks in the upcoming weeks! I know I mentioned it quite a while ago... since I'm between my apartment and my parents' house a lot, my books and clothes have been scattered all over. But I promise - soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Danielle! Thanks! I can't wait to see your Books & Looks post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, great idea!! Thank you! I'll definitely be using that in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha thanks!! Can't wait to see your Books & Looks post! No rush! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's an interesting story! Yes, I would love to see your Books & Looks post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, beautiful! Thanks for leaving a comment!
Have a lovely day!
~Sara ♥

Pin It button on image hover