Wednesday, December 31, 2014

My Winter Reading List + My 2015 Book Goal

I read 33 books this year! My goal was 32 books this year, so I surpassed it by one book. My Goodreads says that I read 34 books, but there's one that I never finished and don't plan to. What do you do with books that you give up on in regards to Goodreads? 

Anyway, I read a lot of fantastic books this year, so it was hard to narrow it down to just my top eight favorites! I picked the eight that left an impression and that I could see myself reading again in the future. My book goal for 2015 is again to read 32 books!
♥ The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a moody story about a man who returns to his childhood home. The memories of that strange time comes flooding back to him and he remembers the magic, the darkness, and the unusual things that occurred. An amazing read!

♥ Fangirl is about Cath, a freshman in college and a fanfiction writer, who is having trouble not being roommates with her twin sister. She wonders if she can do it on her own and if she can start writing her own stories. One of my new favorite books ever!

♥ Perfect Ruin takes place on the floating city of Internment where life is lovely until the first murder in a generation. For Morgan, she starts to sees that their society isn't always perfect and begins to investigate the murder on her own. A fascinating fantasy read. 

♥ Flora & Ulysses is a middle-grade book that is so charming and fun. It's about Flora, a young girl, who witnesses Ulysses, a squirrel, get sucked into a vacuum and then get super powers. It's as adorable as it sounds. 

♥ Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore is about Clay, a young man who mans the desk at a 24-hour bookstore. What starts as a simple job turns into something so much more complicated that involves a secret society, history, and a lot of books. This book is amazing. 

♥ Dorothy Must Die is an adaptation of The Wizard of Oz. Amy, a girl from Kansas, finds herself transported and then stuck in Oz, but it's not the same place from the book/movie. Soon Amy is recruited to kill the evil queen: Dorothy. It's a fun read that doesn't take itself too seriously. 

♥ Cress is the third in The Lunar Chronicles series (which is my favorite series after Harry Potter). Cinder, Captain Thorne, Scarlet, and Wolf are now fugitives on the run and they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana. In order to do so they need Cress, a girl stuck on a satellite, who was just given orders by Queen Levana to track Cinder down. Loved it!

♥ Horrorstor is a dark but humorous horror novel. Amy works at Orsk, which is similar to Ikea, and strange things have been happening at night in the store while no one is there, so that night she, the floor manager Basil, and a few others decide to investigate, but what they find is not what they were expecting. A fun read and I love that the book looks like an Ikea catalog. 
I only read three of the books from my summer reading list, but I would still like to get to them at some point. I'm bringing Attachments with me on the plane to Austin and the others will no doubt be read cuddled up in bed with hot chocolate. 

♥ Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
♥ The Savages by Matt Whyman
♥ Pure (Pure #1) by Julianna Baggott 
♥ A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall
♥ Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
♥ Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne
♥ The Sleeper and The Spindle by Neil Gaiman
♥ Office Girl by Joe Meno

P.S. -- Friend me on Goodreads!

What's currently on your reading list?

Bloglovin ♥ Facebook ♥ Twitter ♥ Pinterest ♥ Instagram
 photo SincerelySaraPostButtonShort_zps1f3e9c17.jpg

Pin It!

24 comments:

  1. So many great books here! Super glad I joined NovelTea this year, as I don't think I would have read some of the books otherwise, and I really enjoyed them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked up The Sleeper and the Spindle from The Strand this past weekend (but I haven't had a chance to read it yet)! Attachments is also in my TBR pile and The Savages looks really good! I just added that to my Amazon wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved loved loved Attachments! It was the start of my Rainbow Rowell period this year, and it was by far my favorite of her work. I didn't enjoy Eleanor and Park or Fangirl nearly as much, but I did like Landlines...so I'm thinking I just don't enjoy her teenager stories?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first year that I tracked all my reading on Goodreads, and I really enjoy having the record. When I read part of a book and realize that I'm not going to finish it because it's just not for me, I just count it as "read" on Goodreads (and usually give it a low rating). I guess it makes sense to me to do that so I can remember that I tried to read it and didn't like it! Maybe you could mark it "read" but also put it on a custom "unfinished" shelf?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont have a reading list for next year yet but I'm definitely adding Dorothy Must Die - Wizard of Oz is one of my absolute favorites!
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I'm definitely going to have to check some of these out! Penumbra and Cress were hands-down 2 of my favorite books that I read this year! I wish more Lunar Chronicles books would come out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard such a mixed review of Fangirl. Half of the people I know hate it and the other half loved it! haha! I think I'm going to give it a shot either way. Dorothy must Die sounds like something I would really like. I love books with a different take on fairytales.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that you gave this recap. You are so good at this. I wish I had read more this year but I will just make an improvement for next year!

    Happy 2015!

    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many amazing books on your list! The Ocean at the End of the Lane and all of Rainbow Rowell are some of my favorites. I'm totally stealing some of these for me to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please do steal these! They are great books!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Nancy! I hope you find the time to read more in 2015! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Fangirl because the character is pretty much me as a freshman. I also was shy and wrote fanfiction, so that probably helped. :) I hope you read it and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fairest is coming out next month, which is from the POV of Queen Levana and Winter is coming out sometime this year as well! So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dorothy Must Die was a really fun read! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like having a record of all the books that I read! A few years ago before using Goodreads I would just write it down, but this makes it so much easier and it's a community, so that makes it better. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked Eleanor and Park, but not as much as her other ones. I still have to read Landlines and I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love The Strand! One of my favorite places! I love exploring it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me too!! I love the community it created and all the conversations we have!

    ReplyDelete
  19. congrats on surpassing your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow great post dear, Do you mind supports each other?! Happy New Year!

    Koey,

    www.KoeyLeow.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. "It's a fun read that doesn't take itself too seriously." Agreed. I'm probably going to read the next installments too. It's a fun world.
    Just added Neil Gaiman's book to my library hold list too! Thanks Sara :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I got the trilogy of Hitchhiker's Guide in the Christmas Kindle sale, so I can't wait to read that (I've never read it!!)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, beautiful! Thanks for leaving a comment!
Have a lovely day!
~Sara ♥

Pin It button on image hover