Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Books & Looks: Danielle

Say hello to Danielle!

When it comes to clothes and books, I generally like to keep it somewhat simple. Listen, that's not to say I don't like to go all-out with accessories or read some flowery epic from time to time... I love excess and drama. But on a day-to-day basis? I prefer polished, easy-to-throw-on outfits and just-plain-good books.


One of my favorite reads in the past year is a debut novel by Amy Zhang, called Falling into Place. After seeing Miss Zhang (who is still a college student! How cool is that?) speak about her book at an event in the fall, I knew I had to read her book. The story is centered on high school student Liz Emerson, who wants to end her life because she feels she has hurt too many people. The writing is simple yet beautiful, with a lot of striking imagery. The narrator is unknown until the end, and the revelation was incredibly satisfying. I found Falling into Place to be an inspiring read for two reasons:

  1. Zhang is young, but she has accomplished so much already! As a post-college creative writer (and mega procrastinator, it seems), reading Zhang's book was a good kick in the butt. It got me excited about writing again.
  2. Falling into Place is a unique read, It's refreshing to see a story told from a new perspective. I also thought it was interesting that the main character is a bully, as opposed to someone who is bullied.

Look:  I work as an editor at a publishing company, and I enjoy dressing for work. A lot of the outfits I'd wear to the office I also wear on my days off, too! There's something really great about feeling put-together in a dress and some stockings. This dress is from Oasap, and I love the color and the ribbed detail. It's very easy to throw this dress on, and it can either be worn by itself or paired with cardigan and a chunky necklace. I love versatile pieces. 

Is wearing tan stockings outdated? I feel like a lot of my friends would rather go bare-legged, but I love the polished, sort of airbrushed quality that stockings give. These are No-Nonsense, which you can pretty much pick up everywhere (the grocery store, CVS). Nothing fancy. From an early age my mom always made sure I had stockings on when I wore a dress, and I don't think it's something I'll stop anytime soon. 

I don't wear these boots too often (I'm generally a ballet flats kind of girl), but they make me feel awesome! Cool heels are an instant confidence booster.

I moved to New York City this summer, and once the fall rolled around I knew I needed a good coat for the blustery commute. It may be kind of silly, but I go a little starry-eyed when I see New Yorkers sporting great trenches or peacoats on their way to work. As an early Christmas gift, my mom bought me this beautiful gray coat from Liz Claiborne. I didn't know I could be in love with a coat, but here I am. You have to keep warm, so you may as well feel fabulous as you do it!



Thank you, Danielle!
Have you read the Falling into Place?

Want to be a part of Book & Looks? Pick your favorite book and piece of clothing and take some pictures, then email me at sara.strauss8922@yahoo.com with the subject "Books & Looks". In the email, include: four to five pictures (preferably horizontal), a paragraph or two about why it's your favorite book and why it's your favorite piece of clothing, and three social media links. 


Bloglovin ♥ Facebook ♥ Twitter ♥ Pinterest ♥ Instagram
 photo SincerelySaraPostButtonShort_zps1f3e9c17.jpg

Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. Great post, you look lovely and the book sounds fantastic- thanks for sharing! <3


    I have a new post on the blog, would love to know your thoughts:


    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *


    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle looks very nice! I love the color of her skirt :)


    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of that book but it sounds like a really great read. I love the change in the usual perspective (the bully vs. the bullied). Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding this book to my to-read list - it sounds quite intriguing! An excellent look as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds fascinating! I've added it to my reading list too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love for you to submit to the series, Rena!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too!! She looks so professional and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that coat, perfect for new York!

    ReplyDelete
  10. danielle looks gorgeous! i love her dress!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, beautiful! Thanks for leaving a comment!
Have a lovely day!
~Sara ♥

Pin It button on image hover