Thursday, January 29, 2015

Inspired By: The Classics Vol. 10


This month I decided to do "classic" children's books. You can all thank Angie of Simply Sinova (you should all check out her blog because it's one of my favorites!) for this awesome idea! While most of these books are modern (they were all written between 1955 and 1974), over time they have become classic stories.


A Wrinkle in Time
A Wrinkle in Time

Written by Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time is a science fantasy novel that follows Meg Murray, a fourteen-year-old, who goes on a journey to rescue her father, a scientist. It turns out her father was working on something called the tesseract and before long, Meg, her young telepathic brother, and Calvin, the boy she likes, travel to strange places. (I've never read this, but now I want to!)

Go for a schoolgirl look by wearing a green dress under a beige sweater, glasses, wine-colored tights, and cut-out oxfords. Or you could dress like Calvin, the red-haired boy that Meg likes: wear an orange striped top, jeans, a mint-colored watch, and mint sneakers.

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon | Goodreads

Where the Sidewalk Ends
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Written by Shel Silvertein, this book is a collection of poems and illustrations about childhood problems (like a girl not wanting to go to school) and fanciful stories (like when three brothers go for a ride on a flying shoe, a crocodile doesn't like it when a dentist cleans his teeth, or a man asks animals for suggestions on how to impress a woman).

Go for something chic but cozy in a black jumpsuit, a warm gray cardigan, black rose earrings, and gray peep-toe booties. Or instead wear a gray swing dress, burgundy tights, layered necklaces, and black heeled booties.

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon | Goodreads

Harold and the Purple Crayon
Harold and the Purple Crayon
Written by Crockett Johnson, Harold and the Purple Crayon is about four-year-old Harold, a curious little boy, who creates the things he wants. He draw a moon, a path to walk, a bed to sleep in, and more.

Wear the classic colors of the book: purple, blue, and black by donning a blue blouse, purple lipstick, black jeans, and purple pumps. Or a purple cardigan, blue dress, layered necklaces, and blue T-strap heels.

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon | Goodreads

Where The Wild Things Are
Where the Wild Things Are
Written by Maurice Sendak, the story follows a boy named Max, who dresses in his wolf costume and causes a ruckus in his house and is sent to his room, which transforms into an island with large creatures called Wild Things.

Wear a cozy outfit for exploring a strange land: an oversized gray cardigan, a striped top, jeans, a cat ears ring, and nude flats. Or go for a black hat with ears, a gray dress, a wolf ears ring, tights, and lace up boots.

Buy the book: B&N | Amazon | Goodreads

Which of these childhood books have you read?

Bloglovin ♥ Facebook ♥ Twitter ♥ Pinterest ♥ Instagram
 photo SincerelySaraPostButtonShort_zps1f3e9c17.jpg

Pin It!

20 comments:

  1. I love the striped sweater and cute hat from Where The Wild Things Are - amazingly on point for the current weather! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where the Sidewalk Ends is my favorite outfit!
    www.theadoredlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh i remember loving a Wrinkle in Time so much! Somehow I acquired 3 copies of the book. I really need to reread it. I need everything your picked for Where the Wild Things Are. Love all the cat-ear stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, these take me BACK! Love your WTWTA collage - that hat is beyond adorable!

    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Angie's blog too! and these outfit, I think the last one is my favorite. I really like the gray cardigan :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm almots ashamed to admit that I do not know a single one of these stories. I grew up with Roald Dahl and a couple of Dutch and Flemish writers. BUT on the upside of things: I really love the outfits you've based on these books. Where The Sidewalk Ends and Harold And The Purple Crayon are my faves of the bunch :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the flip side, I've never read Roald Dahl sadly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Miche! Glad you like the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness this is such a cute idea!! I LOVE the inspiration board for Harold and the Purple Crayon - one of my very favorites! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY! I'm in LOVE with all these looks. Where the Wild Things Are was my FAVORITE book growing up! That hat is so cute (I love hats with ears!) The Harold and the Purple Crayon board is my FAVORITE <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where The Sidewalk Ends is one of my all-time favorites. I remember reading through the poems in school, and someone gave me a copy of it for my birthday! I have it in my apartment today (pretty sure...you know how it is, I had to be very selective about what books to take with me from my parent's house, though I wanted them all!) Love how all those looks are "sidewalk" colored. But then again, purple is my favorite color so I love love the picks for Harold & the Purple Crayon.

    ♥ perfectly Priya

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I have fond memories of reading through Where The Sidewalk Ends in fourth grade! I remember sitting on a little pouf chair and flipping the pages! Purple is my fave color too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for this idea! It was so fun putting this together and I'm definitely going to do more! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please read A Wrinkle in Time! It's amazing and the characters are so great.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, beautiful! Thanks for leaving a comment!
Have a lovely day!
~Sara ♥

Pin It button on image hover